25.12.08

Tis' The Season



You know, Christmas must be one of the seasons that impact global warming the most. First, people put up lights and decorations that soak up electricity (and think about all the shopping centres with their trappings and trimmings!). Then, they consume massive amounts of food (and still have MORE that they can't finish which sometimes ends up in the bin). And don't get me started on the cards and presents! How many people actually recycle their cards? And how many people get presents that are useful, let alone environmentally friendly?

Now don't get me wrong. I'm a big fan of Christmas. I actually love this holiday and all the beautiful decorations that come along with it. I love giving hubby presents and watching him open his gifts with anticipation. And I enjoy the time that we spend with his family (and that's saying something).

But perhaps what we need to adopt is more the spirit of Christmas than the consumerism/materialism of Christmas because some things are meant to last and some things just contribute to landfill.

So on that note, let me wish all of you a very Merry Christmas. Have a safe holiday and enjoy time with your loved ones. And if you're looking forward to a well deserved break, put your feet up, enjoy some soft music and get comfy with a book...because I know I would.

*hugs*

No comments: